Low-tech Hanging MobileLow-tech Hanging Mobile
MPACT provides opportunities for students to engage in computational thinking, spatial reasoning, and mathematical concepts through design and hands-on making projects.
Check out our low-tech hanging mobile module.
Modules and Training
Modules guide students through a design and making process to create a real product.
Students dive deeper into the design and making process as they progress through the modules.
Three days of training is recommended to facilitate all three modules.
Tinkercad (free) web-based 3D modeling tool
- MPACT student handouts and teacher notes (free)
- 3D printer
- Arts & crafts supplies
- Includes geometry and
- measurement topics
Computational Thinking and Spatial Reasoning
- Includes algorithmic thinking,
- debugging, and
- mental rotation
|4th Grade||5th Grade||6th Grade||7th Grade|
|Math Content||Symmetry and angle measurement||Volume and linear measurement||Volume, surface area, and linear measurement||Probability and scale drawings|
|Module 1||Make a Bookmark||Make a Bookmark||Make a Bookmark||Make a Bookmark|
|Module 2||Make a Kite from a Single Piece of Paper||Make a Soma Cube Puzzle||Make a Soma Cube Puzzle and a Box to Keep it in||Make Dice for the Sighted and the Blind|
|Module 3||Make a Stamp to Print with||Make a Toy on Wheels for a Younger Child||Make a Mobile for a Community Center||Modify a Game to be Played by the Sighted and the Blind|
Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) and Executive Function
- Students organize their work and plan to solve complex problems and projects.
- Engaging projects support creativity and perseverance.
- Projects encourage empathy for making products for clients.
- Students dive deeper into the design and making process as they progress through the modules.
- Students follow a design process used by professionals.
- Optional E-Mentors can be recruited to share their experiences and answer student questions.